Thursday, March 8, 2012

Peace

Many people think of peace as the absence of war. But we can feel peace even in times of war, and we can lack peace even when no war is raging. The mere absence of conflict is not enough to bring peace to our hearts. Peace comes through the gospel- through the Atonement of Jesus Chirst, the ministration of the Holy Ghost, and our own righteousness, sincere repentance, and diligent service. Even when the world is in turmoil all around you, you can recieve the blessings of inner peace.

The following words of the Savior teach us how we can experience the peace that the gospel brings:

"The Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your rememberance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:26-27)


  In the midst of that tribulation His followers would have peace in Him. In other words, even if all the world is crumbling around us, the promised Comforter will provide His peace as a result of true discipleship. Ultimate total peace will come, of course, because He overcame the world. But we can have His peace with us irrespective of the troubles of the world. His peace is that peace, that serenity, that comfort spoken to our hearts and minds by the Comforter, the Holy Ghost, as we strive to follow Him and keep His commandments.

“Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me” Doctorine and Covenants 19:23

When all else fails and you feel like your world is falling apart never forget to turn to our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I invite you all to remember them, in your times of need may they give you a sense of peace. I know that they will comfort you in times when you need them the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment